Friday, June 4, 2010

A little more about me... Asker or Guesser?

A while back, I was talking to some of my friends about how I have a really difficult time saying no to anything. Even if I know that saying yes will lead to several hours of doing something I do not want to do. One of my friends remembered that conversation and sent me this really interesting article about Askers and Guessers today.

The basic premise is there are two different kinds of people. People who are askers, who were raised to ask for whatever they want. If someone says no to them, that's fine. There is nothing wrong with that. And then there are guessers, who never ask outright for something. Instead they feel things out and try to change situations so that what they want is offered to them instead.

The problem is when an Asker meets a Guesser, it's hard for them to understand each other. Askers have no problem asking for something, even if they actually expect the answer to be no. But Guessers have an extremely hard time saying no, so they say yes.

That is SO me. Haha. My friends, who are mainly Askers, find it very difficult to understand why I don't just say no. They don't get why I complain, when I could have just said no and avoided the situation entirely.

Someday I'll learn to be an Asker. Or at least to be more of an Asker. I know people always say, you don't need to change who you are... but this is something I want to change for me. It's difficult, sometimes, being around all of these Askers. And having more self esteem, more self confidence... what can be wrong with that?

I'll leave you with a picture! Because a post isn't really a post without a picture. ;) Taken by my friend Tatiana, who is pictured in the post below.

No comments:

Post a Comment